Heads Up

Things have been quiet but we are working on a reunion tour which will happen before Christmas – stay tuned for the announcement! Meanwhile, a glimpse at how our album art was prototyped with pen and paper:

After the first step of creating 3D models (see earlier post), I made a bunch of sketches of our heads from different angles. I found drawing from a computer screen to be easier than drawing from life.

Ballpoint pen sketches of the heads of Kevin, Andrius and Sidney.

Ballpoint pen sketches of the heads of Kevin, Andrius and Sidney.

One cool thing about this was that it let me identify a distinctive visual personality for each of us. I’ve got the strong angled lines of my nose, bearded chin and collar (top of the sheet). Andrius has curved lines in his cheek, shoulder, skull and chin (middle). And Sidney (bottom) has horizontal lines and boxy corners to his beard and facial features. Using this knowledge, I made a bunch of different compositions.

Thumbnail compositions - page 1

Thumbnail compositions – page 1

Thumbnail compositions - page 2

Thumbnail compositions – page 2

Page 1 has the compositions that would eventually evolve into the finished cover: the 3rd in the top row has the idea of a diagonal arrangement with receding perspective, and the 3rd in the second row has the idea of overlapping. The two largest sketches on page 2 (that is, the one without a frame and the one above that) introduce the idea of having our eyes all on a single diagonal plane.

In the end though, I had to do a lot of experimentation in the 3D software. The hardest thing for a beginner like me, was understanding the use of zoom and the angle of the lens (or field of view). I was happy with my final composition though, especially once my brother glitched up the models and made a high resolution render for me. I particularly like the aggressive, basically triangular shape made by all the heads against the background.

The final composition.

The final composition.